Saturday, November 19, 2011

Coupon Madness

I think I've posted before about couponing, but I've gotten even better since then. Basically, in September I ordered a subscription to the local newspaper. The commissary had subscriptions on sale for about 50% off. Instead of paying over $100 for just Sunday papers for a year, I paid about $100 for Friday-Sunday. That in itself was big savings.
Each week, I get about $50-$100 in coupons. Granted, I don't ever use all of them. I'd say I use about $15-$30 out of each paper. I also look online. There are websites like coupons.com or smartsource.com that you can print coupons from. Between the newspaper, websites, and my grandma mailing me coupons, I get a lot of the same coupons in different forms so I can double or triple them.
That is most important tip I have for couponing: stack coupons. Most stores won't let you, but the commissary is great for that. Some cashiers don't let you; they sit and check each coupon as they scan them. I still get away with a lot, especially if it's coupons like .60₵ off three crescent rolls. Then I can combine one for .50₵ off two, or .20₵ off one. If I've got them, I'll use all three! A lot of the time, the commissary has Military Store Coupons on display that you can combine too.


The worst place to coupon is Wal-Mart. They are extremely stingy about letting you double up on coupons. The other night, I had to go buy some last-minute supplies for my husband's field training. The commissary was closed, so I ended up at Wal-Mart. If I would have bought everything at the commissary, I would have gotten free toothpaste (with a 25₵ credit), a liter of mouthwash for about .75₵, and body wash for $1.50 (normally $3.75). Since I went to Wal-Mart, I only got .50₵ off my toothpaste, $1.00 off mouthwash, and .50₵ off the body wash. I basically spent about $8.00 more than I needed to because they wouldn't take all my coupons. I even got the manager involved.
Most coupons say "LIMIT ONE"  but also "LIMIT OF 4 LIKE COUPONS." So you can use up to four different coupons for the same product, IF you're at a good store.
Here are a couple pictures of my last two trips to the commissary. I think I'm doing pretty good. Some people measure your savings by percentage, so my first trip would have been better. 23% is awesome for me! But I saved more money my second trip. Even though my savings was only 18%, I still saved over $30. I spent much more on that trip, but I was buying Thanksgiving dinner. A turkey, stuffing, candles, and some other stuff. Almost everything I bought, I had coupons for. My second trip averaged at almost $1.00 per coupon. That's pretty awesome, right?
If you all have any questions, feel free to comment! I know I'm not one of those extreme couponers but I do pretty well, if I do say so myself.
God Bless. ♥ Vi