Friday, January 06, 2012

The Cost of College

Welp, I got online this morning to see what my tuition would be for this coming semester. Keeping in mind that I only paid $550 last semester because of scholarships and a military waiver (both of which I still have), I was expecting it to be around $800 because I added extra credits and a meal plan... To my surprise, it's over a grand. Wonderful right? On top of that, I have to pay for all of my books this semester. Last semester I only paid for books for 3 classes and it was about $500. This semester, I'll be buying books for all of my seven classes... $657 for all used. Joy! ONE class totals to $300. World History will be the death of me, I'm sure. I seriously can't believe how much I'm going to be spending this semester.
Why does college have to be so expensive? It's incredible to me how people without scholarships and grants make it through college. I currently have $2,500/semester on a Presidential Scholarship, over $3,000/semester on a military waiver (waives the out-of-state tuition fees), and $272/semester on Pell. If I didn't have these scholarships, I'd be paying over $7,500/semester. I honestly don't think I would go to college if that were the case.
I'm switching to fully online this summer and finishing out my schooling that way. I know it's going to cost me more, which scares me, but I won't have any gas costs. Right now I'm adding about two grand each semester just getting there and back.
I'm working on getting MyCAA, a scholarship for military spouses. That only amounts to about $2500, but it's better than nothing! I remember how everyone was talking about how paying for college is hard, but I was stupid and overlooked it all... I figured my Presidential was a 4 year scholarship, and didn't take into account how much it would cost getting to and from school. So, now it's hitting me hard.
I'm trying to find more ways of making income. Thirty-One isn't making a dent in my finances at all... We'll see what I come up with!
God Bless ♥ Vi