Sunday, February 12, 2012

Boredom of Staff Duty

Staff Duty (n); a 24-hour shift that causes large amounts of boredom for wives. 

Yes, husband is on staff duty. I'm bored and unmotivated to do basically anything. Yesterday was a pretty long day. Nothing went wrong, it was just a long day. We got up early to meet with a Realtor about a house. We hung out with some friends for a while, showed them the house we looked at, went to an open house, and then went back to their house for a movie and pizza. It was a good day, but thoroughly exhausting.
Hubby left at eight this morning and I won't see him until tomorrow after class. I'm considering skipping my last class of the day, but I've already skipped it a few times this semester and it's only week four, or five. I don't quite remember. Anyway... I'm trying to compile a list of things to do while Hubby is gone that keep me entertained. Sadly, I've exhausted a few of these options already so that limits what I do the rest of my day.

  1. Clean. It's not always fun, but it's easier to get done with one less person in the house. Plus, hubby will like coming home to a clean house. 
  2. Shop. Just don't spend too much! Go grocery shopping or whatever other shopping needs done so you don't have to be away later in the week when he's actually home. 
  3. Catch up on Sleep. We all know they like to hog the bed/covers/pillows. Take a nice nap or go to bed early! Even though it's strange to sleep without him, it's only for one night. 
  4. Homework. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but those of you who it does... Get as much done as you can for the week so you don't get behind later. Every little bit helps!
  5. Catch up on Your Shows. We've all got television shows that we've missed an episode or two of. Why not look them up online or on Netflix and catch up?
  6. Redecorate. You don't have to do anything drastic. Move some furniture, change up the pictures, paint the bathroom... Get creative!
  7. Laundry. Men in the military go through more clothes than teenage girls. Now is a fantastic time to get it all washed and folded since he's not changing three times today. 
  8. Pamper Yourself. Go get your nails/toes/hair done. Surprise hubby with a new hair-do or color when he comes home. 
  9. Call an Old Friend. The military takes us away from our friends sometimes. Get back in touch with someone you haven't talked to in a while. 
  10. Go out. Hang out with some friends you haven't seen recently. Even if their husbands are home, you can always stop by and say hello. 
  11. Work out. Think skinny! Go to the gym on post or even just go for a walk around the neighborhood. It's good for you, and it might make you sleep better without him. 
  12. Try a New Recipe. That way, he won't be around to give you hassle if it turns out awful.
That's all I've got on my list for now. I wish I had more, but I don't. I've done my homework, napped, cleaned, and done all the laundry I can handle. Like I said, I have no motivation today, so I don't particularly feel like going out, but we'll see. I've got another 7 hours before I plan on going to bed. Wish me luck!

Oh, one last thing! Baby is doing good. I'm loving having a doppler so I can hear the heart beat every day. It's really comforting. My belly is growing, but I'm still not gaining any weight (I'm thankful, not complaining!). I wanna be a hot mama! I'm starting to feel a lot more pregnant now. I'm not really sick, but it definitely comes and goes. Yesterday, and Friday, I had a bit of a hormonal breakdown. Friday was worse. I walked into the kitchen, opened the refrigerator and started bawling. Why? I have no idea. Oh well, that's part of the joy in creating life! My belly is growing, the picture is from last week. My back is starting to hurt, not from the baby though. I just can't crack it like I used to so I've got some pinching. The doctor said it's normal and that massage (YES!) and physical therapy might help. We'll see! Only 5 weeks and 3 days until I find out the sex! I'm so excited!
God Bless ♥ Vi.