Monday, March 05, 2012

Combined or Separate?

I should first say that I consider myself no different than any other wife in the United States. Sure, every marriage is different... However, I think that no occupation/situation makes one wife "better" than another.
I'm not talking about cheating or staying faithful, clearly the faithful wife would be "better." I'm talking about whether or not military spouses should classify themselves with the rest of the world.
I've found that there is absolutely no way to win this argument. Let's look at both sides of the argument. I'm not supporting either side. 


If you say that military spouses are equal to civilian spouses, you get shunned. Why would their husbands' occupations make women think they're better than others? (Please don't go off about how being in the military is more than an occupation. I know! That's absolutely NOT what this post is about.) Women whose husbands are not in the military are no different than military wives, right? We all hope for a happy little family, a clean house, and a love like no one else's. We're all equal.

If you say that military spouses are "better," separate or different than civilian spouses, you get shunned. How on earth could you put two completely different lifestyles? Civilian wives will never know real heartache or worry. They never have to go through deployment, or even months of long training... They don't have to move all the time for their husband's work (that's not always true... but I've heard the argument). They aren't constantly put second behind their husband's job (again, not always true...). Being a military spouse is completely different. AND military spouses have to stick together. They can't just go off on their own and live their lives. They need to be a strong whole; civilian spouses don't understand that.

I'm going to say this again because I can already hear people chewing me out for something crazy and far out. I'm not supporting either argument. A wife is a wife is a wife. Take that how you please. I love my military friends just as much as I love my civilian friends. Just thought I'd give some food for thought. I'd love to hear your stories and opinions on this matter, but let's keep it drama free. No hostility please, just opinions!

New Year's Resolution Update: It's March! I worked out with my husband last week. Holy cow I've been sore! We worked out on Wednesday and I must say, Thursday-Saturday I was in quite a bit of pain. I'm starting to cut back on the working out a little bit. I've been super crampy and miserable because I pushed myself just a little bit too hard. Anyway, life is great. I haven't done a lot of cooking lately... I've been in one of those moods where I don't want to cook, ever. The resolution to get back on the dean's list... Well, I don't know if that's going to happen this semester. I've got a lower grade than I'd like in a few of my classes, but it's only mid-semester. I've still got some time. On a high note, I've officially registered for all of my classes for both Summer and Fall, all online. I'm taking 12 credits this summer (full load at GSU) and 15 in the Fall. I was planning to take 17 as I am this semester, but I've decided it's probably a better idea to cut back a little bit. I might be adding a "fitness walking" class which would bump  my load to 16. I'm still on course to graduate in the Fall of 2013 (1 1/2 years early!) so I'm pretty excited.

Gob Bless ♥ Vi