Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Army Environment

Even though there are a lot of things that my husband (and I) complain about with the Army, there's one thing that I couldn't be more thankful for: his work friends. There isn't a day that he doesn't come home with a story to tell. I can only hope that someday I'll be lucky enough to find a job where I am as close to my coworkers as my husband is to his.
Being in the Army, there's a special bond that soldiers share. They know that there's a chance that some of them will get hurt, or even die, and others will save them. This bond creates trust and friendship like no other. Don't get me wrong, I know that some of my friends would take a bullet for me, but the likelihood of that ever happening is slim. In the military, it's not so slim.
During my Tanker Project last semester, I had the honor of observing the soldiers my husband works with in their natural environment: work. Usually, they get along so well it's almost crazy. Granted, there are always going to be times when people are cranky or on edge for random reasons. That's simply part of life though. No matter where you're at, hostility is bound to happen now and then. I think that the soldiers get along so well because of their connection in war; that, along with the fact they're together so much. Deployments seem like a huge bonding party. My husband would probably kill me if he heard me talking about his "bond" with his coworkers, so let me say that this is something completely out of my mind. To the guys from the company who read this, he doesn't come home saying how wonderful you all are and how much he loves spending time with you. I just notice the funny stories he brings home and assume that he actually enjoys his day at work most of the time. On that note...
My husband's coworkers are pretty awesome. It's almost like a big family. I love going to platoon/company functions with him because everyone there is very welcoming. I won't say most of the time, but quite a bit of the time, when my hubby brings home stories I actually know who he's talking about. It's about time that I learn all the names though. I'm starting to know more about the military life (I can't believe he's been in for almost two years now!) so I'm getting the hang of things... It's not quite as hard being alone, saying goodbye for a week or two, or figuring out how to get awful stains out of ACUs. It's a never-ending learning process though. I will never be able to handle a send-off like the girls on Army Wives do, but I can try. Those women actually crack me up. There's no way I won't be bawling my eyes out when my husband leaves. Of course, I'll try to hold back the tears but even the thought of going more than a few weeks without him gets the waterworks flowing. The men in the company are really understanding of that. They know I'm young, as are many of the other wives. We have really become quite a family.
The wives are close, but not nearly as close as the soldiers. We wives don't see each other every day like our husbands do, but we talk. When our husbands are in the field or out late at work, we mooch off of each other to try to gather information about when we should expect our men to come home. It helps knowing you're not the only one watching the door.

Lesson of the day: the military is like a big family for those involved directly and indirectly.

God Bless ♥ Vi

Oh! Baby doctor tomorrow morning. We're getting an echo-cardiogram done on her heart, along with another ultrasound to monitor the growth of her CCAM. I'll update again soon!