Monday, May 14, 2012

Dreading Tests

For those of you who don't know me in person, there is one thing you should know about me: I hate needles. Now, I'm not talking about piercings or tattoos. Neither of those bother me for some reason. I can get them myself, and can watch other people get them with no problem whatsoever. My husband has seven tattoos and I've watched him get all but two. It didn't bother me at all. However, if you ask me to get blood tests done, or even go into a lab... brace yourself.

When I first went in for my pregnancy test at the hospital (they do blood tests instead of urine tests because they're "more accurate") I smacked my forehead on the table because I was so dizzy. It was pretty awful, not to mention that they messed up my first test and I had to go back a few days later to get it redone.
Since we found out I was pregnant, I've only had blood work done twice. It's been quite a few months now and I'm dreading what's coming tomorrow. I have to get my glucose test done. It's a standard test done in pretty much all pregnancies (if I understand correctly), but it does mean blood tests. I have to go in and drink some kind of fluid an hour before I get blood drawn. In other words, I have an hour to psych myself out and become an anxious wreck. Awesome, right? I'm terrified. I could have had it done today, but I couldn't make myself go.

Today I also found out that the last doctor misdiagnosed me last week. He didn't really explain what he thought I had, but he gave me an antibiotic to get rid of my cough and cold. Well, that was a week ago and I'm still sick as a dog. Since I had an ultrasound this morning, I decided to stop in and see if they could give me something to at least suppress the coughing long enough for it to work itself out of my system. Another doctor took a look at me, and actually looked at my throat and ears... Diagnosis: I have either strep throat or whooping cough! Fantastic! They did a strep test that will come back with results in about 48 hours and are treating me as if it comes back positive. If it comes back negative, we will schedule testing for whooping cough. I have most of the symptoms. Now it's just a waiting game.

My next ultrasound is next Wednesday. We'll get more measurements of baby Adalin's CCAM and growth in general then. Today they measured the hole in her heart. It doesn't appear to be getting larger, but it hasn't went away either. The doctors have opted to not measure the hole again until after she's born (only about 12 more weeks!) but before she leaves the hospital to come home. Depending on the progress (or lack of progress) she's made by then, they'll decide whether or not surgery will be necessary. Unless her condition changes drastically, it doesn't sound like she will have to have any sort of surgery immediately after birth, but it's likely that she will have to have at least one within the first year of her life. It's a stressful situation but I trust the doctors. I know that she is in good hands.

Back to the needle situation, I was an absolute genius last week. I decided to watch a video of an epidural. We aren't talking about some animation or explanation of the procedure though. We're talking live video of a woman in labor getting an epidural, naked butt and all. That was quite the experience. I threw up half way though and ended up stopping the video about 3/4 of the way through because I was worried about passing out. I would love to think that I'll be able to go through labor without getting an epidural, but I'm a pansy when it comes to pain. I'm going to try my hardest to go without it, but I'd like labor to be an experience that I can look back on and say "That wasn't too bad." After all, my husband and I would like to have two children. I know that no labor is going to be pleasant but I'd like it to be doable. We'll see with time!

I'll let everyone know how the glucose test comes back when I find out. It might not be until my appointment next week.  That's all for today, have a great week!

God Bless ♥ Vi.