Thursday, May 03, 2012

Love is What?

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."  -1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

This is one of my favorite passages of scripture. I know I haven't posted a whole lot of biblical stuff on here, but this passage is close to my heart. After thinking pretty deeply about it the other day, I realized something: my love for my husband causes me to feel all these things that love "does not do." I feel these things towards the Army. 

I have to force myself to have patience with the Army. It takes a lot of mental strength for me to not go punch someone when my husband gets held late at work (it seems like that happens every day lately), or when field training or ranges go later than expected. Even more so, I have very little patience when it comes to not being informed about what's going on. When there is a rumor about something, whether it be training dates, leave dates, classes, etc., I feel that it is the Army's job to address the issue immediately to eliminate all confusion. Does that ever happen? Rarely. 

I am not always kind to the Army. I do my best to support our military as a whole, but sometimes I can't help what think to myself, "What on earth are they doing?" I usually keep the stupid crap that goes on off of here, not to try and paint a picture of a perfect military life, but to keep my husband's head off the chopping block. I do love this life, believe it or not. It is just frustrating sometimes. 

I envy the Army more than what is probably healthy. I am jealous of how much time my husband dedicates to the Army, how much he is gone with the Army, how often he eats dinner with the Army... It's often said that the Army is a soldier's mistress. I'm seeing that more and more lately. I'm waiting for the day that Hubby comes home and tells me that he got the Army pregnant (just kidding). It seems like the Army takes the biggest priority in our lives, but I know he would do absolutely anything in his power (without risking jail time) for our family. 

I do boast about my husband, as most of you know by reading this. I'm a very proud wife! My husband is amazing! Do I feel guilty for this? Absolutely not! He's my husband, I'm allowed to brag a little. 

I just said this, but I'll say it again, I'm proud of my husband and I'm proud of our love. I realized yesterday that we've already been married for 10 months. That's only a short amount of time compared to the time we plan to spend together, but it has gone faster than I ever imagined. In less than two months we will be celebrating our anniversary (together for the first time!) and I couldn't be more excited. I know some couples who have been together for years and years are probably thinking, "Big deal, a whole year!" but I ask them this, when did being together for a whole year of your lives stop being important? Try being away for a year, then think about how amazing it is to be together. 

A few verses later, this passage says that "Love never fails." This is how I know that what my husband and I have is real. Sure, we've only been together for about 2 1/2 years, but so what!? I've known for quite a long while that he's the one I'm meant to be with. We've had our rough patches, but so does any other healthy couple. If we agreed on everything, all the time, I would be a little worried. No two people are that much alike. 

After thinking about this passage some more, I came to the conclusion that it's not saying that love doesn't make us feel these things. It's saying that love eliminates these things within the relationship. We are supposed to be patient and kind with the ones we love. We aren't supposed to envy them, but be happy for them instead! We shouldn't boast to them, but about them. We aren't supposed to be proud and too bull-headed to realize that our love might take work, but be humble and willing to do anything for it. We aren't supposed to dishonor our loved ones, or seek to be better than them. We aren't supposed to get mad over the stupid things or keep track of what they do that ticks us off. We aren't supposed to be happy when something goes wrong (even if it is an "I told you so" moment), but only be happy when the good comes out. We are to protect each other, trust each other, hope for each other, and persevere for each other, no matter what. After all, love never fails. 

God Bless ♥ Vi