Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Should Wives Bite Their Tongues?

I'm a little late posting this, but it's been on my mind all week. Last Friday, President Obama came to visit Fort Stewart. A lot of the wives around here were posting on Facebook saying how he needs to leave, how they hate him, etc. I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I know that soldiers themselves aren't supposed to share their opinion of the President publicly. Let me say something real quick:

This is not going to be a post about my opinion on the President, government, or politics. That's not why this blog is here. Please do not assume that I am for/against the President, the government, or their actions. 


Continuing... All the controversy made me wonder, is it the obligation of military wives to keep their mouths shut in order to keep their husbands out of trouble? My personal opinion, yes.

I don't think that wives should go off ranting (publicly) about hating the government, or the President. Even if you hate the President or his policies, you should be careful of what you say on Facebook. It's a completely different situation if you're having a conversation with someone face to face, or even privately through messages or emails. However, if you post it on a public page, or even your profile for everyone you're friends with to see, you're asking for trouble.

Think of it this way: if your husband was.... let's say a doctor. If you go on a rampage on Facebook about how much you hate the owner of the hospital, or the hospital's policies, etc., and his boss saw it, he would probably get in trouble, right? He might even lose his job. Now, I'm not saying that the President is going to look through all of the wives' Facebook pages to see who he can kick out of the Army. However, there have been a few times that I've had to watch what I say both on Facebook and on here because I'm friends with a lot of the higher-ranking soldiers in my husband's unit. They see what I post, so what I post affects my husband.

You (hopefully) wouldn't walk right up to your soldier's chain of command and tell them that you hate what they're doing, unless it was endangering your husband or your family. Some wives would (and before everyone gets all pissy with me, I'm not saying that it's not right, I'm saying that it's not something I'm willing to do until circumstances get extreme).

Aside from the political aspect of this, I think it's always the obligation of military wives to help their husbands to pursue their dreams. If your husband wants to make a career out of the military, you should do everything in your power to make that happen, even if it does mean kissing some butt. There have been times that I would have loved to go chew someone out for something stupid (and preventable) happening, but I've kept my mouth shut for his sake. I'm comfortable saying that 90% of the time, I'm very mellow-minded. I don't chew people out for no reason, and I (usually) don't get upset over the little things. Being pregnant may have lowered that percentage a little bit, but what do you expect with raging hormones? The other 10% of the time, I'm on a war path. There's not really a middle ground for me. Either I'm happy (or maybe slightly irritated), or I'm ready to bite someone's head off. It's been really hard for me to keep my mouth shut sometimes. I've found ways around it though.

Sometimes I'll create a post for this blog, and save it for a week or so before publishing it. Once I've calmed down, I'll go through and re-edit anything that needs to be censored. This keeps both me and my husband out of trouble.

Every wife deals with this issue in a different way. Everyone who reads this blog should know that I'm all about freedom of speech. If you want to post about the stupid crap that goes on in military life, go for it! You won't be the only one! If you want to talk about how awful/wonderful the government is, be my guest. I'm just not going to say anything that could harm my husband's chances of making the military his career.

Just some food for thought! I'd love to hear your opinion on the matter, but remember keep the peace. This is a blog, not a war zone.

God Bless ♥ Vi