Thursday, June 07, 2012

Watch Your Mouth

I posted a similar blog a while ago (Should Wives Bite Their Tongues?), but I feel the need to touch on it again. What military wives do does indeed affect their husbands. This has been more real to me than ever recently.
I run a page for the wives in my husband's battalion. There's been a lot of talk about OPSEC violations and just reporting stupid things to the wrong people. I try really hard to make sure that everything posted is okay, but there's only so much I can do. It's one of my biggest fears that I'll post/say something that will get my husband in trouble.
Talking about dates, locations, training, and everything else "sensitive" can look badly on him. The safest way to avoid this is just to not talk about him/his job on Facebook or on here, but sometimes I can't help myself! I just love him too much to keep quiet. I am too proud to not brag every once and a while.
It's one thing to say, "My husband is still at work today, this sucks." It's completely another to say, "He's still in xx country with xx unit until xx date." It amazes me what some wives are willing to put out there. I try my best to make it not entirely obvious when my husband is home/away. I know, I post things on here about how much I get done while he's gone or how I miss certain things, but I try extremely hard not to post dates, numbers, or locations.
I saw a thing on one of the OPSEC presentations that made complete sense to me: If you wouldn't put it on a yard sign, don't put it online. Granted, I'd never pay money for a sign that says, "My house is cleaner now!" but you get my point. If you wouldn't put "My husband is deployed and I'm in Europe for two months" on a sign in your front yard, don't put it on your Facebook (just so we're clear, my husband isn't deployed and I'm not going to Europe).
Another thing that has been brought to my attention is the threat of homeland terrorism. Terrorists aren't just overseas, they're here too. Adding people you don't know on Facebook can be dangerous. Just because they've got multiple pictures of the same person up on their page does not mean that is who they actually are. It's so easy to find a random public profile and pull pictures from it. I feel like such a nag for saying all this, but it really is important for our husbands' safety. I'm going to be more and more conscious of this now.

I'm doing pretty decent with school lately. My Death and Dying class is giving me a little trouble on tests, but everything else has been high grades so I'm still hopeful for a 4.0 in there. Statistics has been pretty good too. I've had a lot to do this week, but I'm on top of it. I'm trying to start working ahead so I can finish it early. We'll see though.

Well, I'm off to start my day now. Happy Thursday!
God Bless ♥ Vi