Saturday, July 28, 2012

This is It!

As long as all goes well, this will be my last weekend as a non-parent. I'm scheduled to be induced Monday night at 5pm, so we're expecting Adalin to arrive sometime on Tuesday if she doesn't decided to come this weekend.
I've been contracting all week long, but not enough to go to labor and delivery. On Monday I was dilated to 1 cm, but I'm hoping that I'll have progressed to at least two or three naturally before induction. My doctor said that the further I can get on my own, the faster the induction will go. I've heard horror stories about women who were induced and spent three or four days contracting like crazy, but not progressing and getting sent home to wait it out. I'm praying that won't happen to me.
My anxiety is at an all time high for the time span of this pregnancy. Although all of you may laugh at me, I'm absolutely horrified about getting an IV. The biggest medical procedure I've ever had done was getting my wisdom teeth (there's the link to that blog) pulled. That was horrible enough to last me a lifetime. I had some other medical procedures done as an infant, but obviously don't remember them so I'm not traumatized by them. I'm so terrified about having an IV, you wouldn't believe the knots in my stomach from just thinking about it.
I'm still undecided about an epidural as well. One thing that is a major contributor to my anxiety is the lack of control. I wish I were able to just say, "Okay, Adalin. It's time to come out now," and then bam! she'd come. We all know it doesn't work that way though. The idea of not being able to control my legs after getting an epidural is almost as scary as the idea of the epidural itself. So the choice I have is to either a) get the epidural and lose control of my legs, but feel much much better through the delivery process or b) don't get the epidural and be in oodles and oodles of pain, but still get to feel and control my legs.  To me, it seems like most people would say screw controlling my legs, get rid of the pain. It's just not that easy for me though.
I fully admit that I'm a control freak. I like things to go as planned (not necessarily "my way," but just as scheduled). I don't think that I'm mean or obnoxious about it, but I just like things to flow like they should. I have this ever-burning need to know when things are going to happen, where they're going to happen, and how it's all going to go down. If any part of that puzzle is missing, you might as well hit me with a bus. I don't know exactly when this baby is going to decide to come. Thankfully, I know where she'll be delivered. Unfortunately, I don't know how. Doctors don't seem worried about me having to have a c-section,  but I am at risk for one. Even though Adalin has been head down since I was 25 weeks along, all pregnancies are said to have at least a 30% chance of needing a c-section. Being induced adds another 10% to that. I'm trying to ignore that, but I know that I need to be somewhat mentally prepared for that possibility because it is just that, a possibility.
Any way, I'm going to try my hardest to enjoy these last two days with my husband in a quite, child-free house. The next month or so should be pretty hectic. Our tentative schedule is delivery next week, then (mom and baby's health permitting) a two trip to Florida to see my husband's grandparents. I've never met them so I'm really excited! After that weekend, my parents and brother are coming down for a few days. The following week, my husband's mom and siblings are coming to visit too. After that, it's all up in the air. All I can say is that I'm going to be one tired woman by the end of August.
I'm off to go clean the rest of the house, I'm still in nesting mode. I will do my best to post an update from the hospital after Adalin is born, but I can't make any promises. If I'm doing well and all of Adalin's potential health problems are cleared, I'll post lots of pictures by the end of next week!
Please keep Hubby and I in your prayers. In three days our lives will change forever.

God Bless ♥ Vi