Saturday, September 22, 2012

Talking About Deployment

With this deployment coming closer and closer, I'm being forced to think and talk about it more every day. Some days are easier than others, but the milestone days (6 months, 3/2/1 months, 3/2/1 weeks, and then of course the daily countdown) are pretty rough. Not having an exact date makes it rough because I like to count, even though it makes me anxious. I like knowing exactly how much time I have left. I will do the same for homecoming as well though. I've actually got a few countdown ideas that I'll be posting as the time goes by (the numbers I post will not be current, I have to protect my husband and his unit).
I find that the hardest part about an upcoming deployment isn't thinking/talking about when my husband is gone. It's thinking/talking about when he leaves. I'm horrible with goodbyes, worse than most people. I definitely cry like a little baby. I think that this time will be worse than the others I've been through for a few reasons: 1) It will be for longer than any of the others I've been through 2) My husband will be saying goodbye to our baby girl and me 3) My helper will leaving (I love you baby) 4) It's my first deployment and I'm nervous. I do surprisingly well talking about while he's gone. I've got a lot to look forward to between trips home and all of Adalin's first holidays. I really think that this deployment will go fast. I know that the first 8 weeks of Adalin's life have flown by faster than I ever imagined they would. I think that if I count weeks instead of days or months, I'll be amazed how fast it goes.
Honestly, I think the hardest part is going to be experiencing all of Adalin's milestones without my husband. When she first starts to crawl, walk, or talk, all I'm going to want to do is call Jimmy into the living room so he can watch. I'm praying daily that we will have at least somewhat decent communication while he's away. Even if it's only a phone call every other week, or emails, I just am hoping to keep him informed and involved.
Throughout the next few weeks I'll be posting things that we're doing to prepare for deployment and what I think is helping and making things earlier. For the next year or so, this blog will definitely reflect my life as an Army wife.
God Bless ♥ Vi