Friday, October 26, 2012

Dealing with Deployment

It's been a few weeks since my husband left. Honestly, I'm doing far better than I expected. Life goes on, even without constant communication with my hubby. The picture to the left was our last family picture for a while. It was such a bitter sweet day.

I know that my husband enlisted to deploy. He hates sitting in garrison doing nothing. He compares it to being on the football team, but sitting the bench for every game. It just sucks (for him). I don't mind the view from the bench. Granted, I would hate to be the one sitting there, but I don't mind when he is. Of course, I'd rather have him be here with Adalin and me, but this is all part of the Army life. I had quite a bit of notice for this deployment, so I was much more mentally prepared than I expected. I definitely cried like a baby for a few days before he left, and for the first few days that he was gone. That was to be expected. The worst part was watching Jimmy say goodbye to Adalin. Knowing that he's missing so much doesn't make this any easier. Thankfully, she was sleeping when we said our last goodbyes so he just kissed her on the forehead, said his "I love you, Pumpkin," and walked away. Gosh, thinking about that moment is going to make me tear up. Moving on!

Much progress has been made already. I haven't cried in a few weeks. I am now visiting home, because I haven't been back here since last Christmas. I'm leaving to go back to Georgia next weekend, but I'll be back up here in Michigan again in December as long as Adalin doesn't have to have surgery then. I've been using my deployment countdown (I'll post a tutorial and pictures when I get back to GA) religiously. It has helped a ton. I'm such a visual person. I have about a million countdowns on my phone. I am doing a bunch for different holidays, the 25% mark, the half way mark, and days since he left/til he comes home. They are nice for me. I also use the "Donut of Misery" app on my phone (Android) that shows what percent you have completed, as well as a bunch of other statistics. I love numbers so it's great for me. I know that a lot of people struggle with that because they don't like seeing the "97% to go" (that's not how much I have left, following OPSEC), or the "286 days left." Even seeing "13 days done" (again not what we have done, OPSEC), can be overwhelming because we have a tendency to think, "That's it?! That's all we've got?! Ugh." I understand both side, but I choose to think, "We've already got 13 days down! Woo hoo!"

We get to talk almost every day. We Skype a few times every week, and alternate between phone calls and just chatting on Facebook. We are so blessed with how amazing communication has been so far. I'm praying that it will continue to be this great throughout the whole deployment. I can't believe how fast the past few weeks have flown by. It just amazes me.

Overall, I try to keep positive as often as possible. I figure, there's no sense being upset over something you can't change. I'm hoping to keep this positive attitude going as long as possible. I've been doing great so far, it's definitely helping time fly by.

God Bless ♥ Vi