Monday, October 22, 2012

Surviving the First Two Months

Here is my essential list of what I needed to survive the first two months:

  1. Fisher Price Cradle n' Swing: This is amazing! There were (and still are) several times that Adalin will only sleep in here. She has recently discovered her reflection in the mirror and absolutely loves it. I like this swing because it swings both front to back, and side to side. At the beginning, she only liked side to side, but now we have to alternate every once and a while. Definitely worth the investment!
  2. Gas Drops: These were a life saver from about two weeks on. She has learned what they are and gets excited when she sees the bottle. They even help her sleep if she's fussing.
  3. Cloud B Gentle Giraffe: Oh my goodness. This giraffe is a life saver. It plays four different sounds, including water noises and heart beat sounds. At first, Adalin really liked the heart beat sounds, but after she was about a week old, she hated it. Since then, water sounds are just about the only thing that she will sleep to. I absolutely love this giraffe. It's very soft and has a strap that you can attach to the crib/stroller/etc. It's just wonderful!
  4. Playtex Ventaire Bottles: Bottles are completely a personal choice. I liked these because Adalin spits up the least with them. The air comes through the bottom, rather than through the nipple so there is less air in the milk/formula. They aren't all that expensive either.
  5. Mitten Cuff Sleepers: These are great because it's easy to change diapers in the middle of the night with them, and they keep baby's hands warmer. Adalin now kicks her legs enough that she ends up wearing them like a tee shirt, but they're wonderful for newborns.
  6. Bath Seat: I love the soft seat like this. My mom just bought me a hard baby tub to use while I'm visiting, but it's a little harder to use than the bath seat in my opinion. I think that if I would have started out with the baby tub, I would like it better. I like using the seat in the tub though because you can move them around a little easier.
  7. Bottle Drying Rack: At first, I thought this was a waste of money, but now I'm so glad I got it. I'm shocked that bottles won't just dry sitting out. I have one very similar to the one in the picture, but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same. Also, a bottle brush is essentail to get those suckers clean.
  8. Bouncer: Adalin loves sitting in her bouncer. I feel more comfortable leaving her in this than on the floor when I'm wandering the house since my dog still hasn't quite realized how big her paws are. Adalin hasn't been stepped on yet, but I'd like to keep it that way. I really like the Boppy brand ones because they adjust to different angles, and are very cushy. It's another great investment!
If you have anything to add, post it in the comments! 

I should also mention, my husband is deployed now. I'm doing far better than I expected for this early on in the game. I had a few rough days after he left, but now I'm in a great routine and killing this deployment. Hubby is doing very well over there. Communication has been great so far and we're hoping it will continue for the upcoming months. That's all I've got for now! I'm really going to try to update more often. Life as a mom is much busier than I expected! 

God Bless ♥ Vi