Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Southern (un)Professionalism

I have been in Georgia for over a year and a half now. Yet, there are so many things surprise me about southern culture.

The unprofessional demeanor of many business around here is horrifying. Last night, I came across a prime example. I'm not sure how national the reporting has been on this story though. A Delta plane went off the runway at the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport last night. It doesn't appear to be a huge issue, as the statement from Delta simply says that "the nose wheel of the aircraft made contact with the grass as the aircraft turned onto the taxiway." This wasn't some crazy plane crash or anything by any means. To my knowledge, all the passengers are physically fine, though mentally shaken. Now for the lack of professionalism in this story. On one of our local news broadcasts' Facebook page, one of the posts was:


Something just really rubs me wrong with the whole "No need to panic..." All of the "...'s" seem very unprofessional to me. Here was a post a few minutes later:
Maybe I'm just irritable, but I see this all the time. Especially on WTOC-TV's Facebook. There's a fine line between being friendly and being unprofessional. I definitely think that it says something about the news station. There was another incident a few months back with snotty remarks being made by some of the anchors. Although it's a good broadcast, I'm not a fan of their Facebook.

Am I the only one who sees this?

Happy Wednesday!

God Bless ♥ Vi