Saturday, February 16, 2013

Unfair to Compare

Time to rant. I can not stand it when people are competitive with their children. What difference does it matter if your child crawled 2 weeks before mine? What difference does it matter if my child eats peas before your child? Sure, it's exciting! Well, peas might not be... but things like crawling, standing, walking, and talking, etc. are! However, in the larger scheme of things... really?



I posted this picture of Adalin (6 months, 10 days) on my personal Facebook and received all sorts of competitive messages saying their child did this xx days sooner, or how they're mad because their child isn't doing this yet.

It's one thing to ask when someone else's child did something. Shoot, I do that all the time. As a first time parent, I have no idea when certain things are supposed to happen. I am frequently asking my mom-friends about when their child ate certain things, when they crawled/stood/walked... Like I said, I don't have a clue what is average... 

The next time someone sends me a message about their child being "better" than mine, I might scream. Babies do what they want to do when they want to. There are babies the same age as Adalin who are walking, and there are others who aren't sitting. You can definitely encourage them to progress, but you can't force them to. Let your baby be your baby.

God Bless ♥ Vi