Saturday, March 02, 2013

Getting Along with Your Mother-in-Law

I have the best in-laws in the world. From day one, my husband's family as accepted me and has treated me as one of their own. After hearing so many of my friends talk about their "monster-in-laws," I've realized how blessed I truly am.

When Jimmy and I first started dating, we balanced our time at each other's houses pretty equally. I was able to get to know his family really well early on. As basic was nearing, they allowed him to come on vacation with me and my closest friend (and her boyfriend) for a long weekend.

While he was in basic, his mom let me come over whenever I wanted to just sit in his room and sulk, or to grab a new t-shirt to sleep in, or whatever I needed. It truly helped basic move much quicker, and it was great to have someone who knew what I was going through.

After he came down to Georgia, they invited me to come down for a week on Spring Break with them. It was the longest I'd seen him in about 5 months.

We had an absolute blast, even when we weren't with him. Since I'd been down here before, I was able to show them around what I knew, as well as explore more of the area. I really do feel like I've been adopted by his family. I couldn't ask for more. 



Since Jimmy deployed, his mom and I have grown even closer. Even though he and I talk every day, talking to his family makes him feel closer. When I took my trips up to Michigan last fall, I spent quite a bit of time with his family. She even babysat Adalin for me so I could go get my newest tattoo. It also helps that my parents get along with my in-laws. No awkward family gatherings for us! ;)



In the end, I really am blessed with the best mother-in-law I could ask for. I know that I can confide in her as much as I can with my own mom. I'm so fortunate to have two women in my life to look up to.

God Bless ♥ Vi