Thursday, March 07, 2013

Loving the Man, Not the Uniform

"The Army has given us so much," is something that I find myself saying quite often. Recently, I began thinking about it more, and it's not the Army that has given us all that we have, it's my husband. It's his dedication and hard work in the Army that has provided for us. I do love the Army for the opportunities that it has given to my husband and our family, but I love my husband more. 

When Jimmy first enlisted, I would post all these things on my Facebook about how much I love "my soldier" or "my tanker." Almost everything I talked about (relating to Jimmy) also related to the military. This stuff was pretty cheesy... 

I think I somewhat forgot that he's a man too, my man. Don't get me wrong, I'm am overly proud of what my husband does for our country, but he's so much more than a soldier. He's a country boy, a handy man, the most wonderful daddy in the whole world, and the best husband I could ask for. He's my support, my motivation, and my rock. Yes, he is my soldier, my tanker, and my hero... but I'm realizing every day that there's more to life than the Army. 

Before we knew that Jimmy was reenlisting, the thought of civilian life terrified me. To be completely honest, it still does. Even though it scares me, I'm not afraid of what our relationship and family status would be like outside of Army life. I know that even though he wouldn't be a soldier anymore, he would still be my husband. That's all that matters to me. I love him as Jimmy, not as SPC Simmons. 

There are a lot of women who openly admit that they're looking for a soldier. These "tag chasers" just want the man in uniform, not the man. I'll admit, my husband does look pretty dang sexy in dirty ACU's, but I'll take him in jeans any day (especially now, today's been one of 'those' days during deployment...). Women who just want the uniform are setting themselves up for problems. A man's military career only lasts so long. There's a lot of life to be lived after the Army. With every passing day, that life gets closer and closer. That life is something I'm actually starting to look forward to.  

God Bless ♥ Vi