Friday, April 26, 2013

Fitness Frustrations

I had blogged a week or so ago about starting the Couch to 5K program. So far it's been going pretty good, but today was frustrating. First I'll explain the program and then get to my frustrations.

I downloaded the app on my phone, rather than trying to time myself with a stopwatch, and remember how long I am supposed to run/walk for. Here's what the icon looks like:


Once you're in the app, you chose which day you're on (one thing I don't like about this app is that it doesn't remember where you left off, so you have to make sure you're on the right day. Not a huge problem, but I've started the wrong day twice in two weeks now...). 


When you click "start" you go through a 5 minute warm up and then start the actual workout. Each time you're supposed to start running/walking it makes a "ding" and says "Start ______." I've learned to love and hate that sound. I love it when it says "Start Walking," and hate it every other time. 


Now to my frustrations... Each week you increase your run time, and slowly eliminate the amount of time you're walking. On Monday (Week 2 Day 1), I completed the workout without a problem. Today (Week 2 Day 3), which is the same workout as I did on Monday, I cut the last 3 runs short by between 20-40 seconds. I am frustrated because I feel like the workout should have been easier today than it was on Monday. 

I know why it was more difficult today though. I'm bad. I didn't eat breakfast, and rarely do. For a while, I was eating a protein bar on the way to the gym every time I went. I need to get back to that. After the first three runs, I was dying. My stomach hurt, bad. All I could think about was food. I wasn't focusing on my breathing, or on the app at all. I'd hear the "ding" but would have to check to find out what I was supposed to be doing. 

Anyway, next week I will be eating breakfast and I will run farther. I'm doing 2.25 miles in 30 minutes (that includes my warm-up and cool-down). Next week's goal is 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. Wish me luck!

God Bless ♥ V