Saturday, May 25, 2013

Getting Closer


With each passing day, I get closer and closer to that moment. I took this photo in December at a friend of mine's homecoming. I didn't know who the people in this photo were, but I couldn't help but to capture this embrace.

Tonight I get to shoot another homecoming! This time, it's for someone whom I've grown extremely close with these last few nights! I'm fully anticipating getting rather emotional at this one. When I first started going to homecomings, I kept my emotions locked down. I was there to work, to take pictures. I wasn't there to celebrate. The more that I go, the more these ceremonies tug on my heartstrings. The last one that I shot, I cried.

I cried when the buses came rolling in. 

I cried when they entered the field.

I cried when they reached formation.

And of course, I cried as families were reunited with their soldiers. 

These people, I don't even know. I don't know their story, their strengths, their struggles... I don't know anything about them other than the fact that they went through what I'm going through: deployment. I hadn't yet noticed any women coming home. I'm sure that there were, I just never noticed. This time, there were a lot. Seeing mothers reunited with their children really spoke to me. Wow is all I can say. I can't imagine leaving my baby for 9 months. Even knowing that she would be in good hands, I couldn't imagine. 

Tonight, I'm gonna cry. Shoot, I'll probably sob. Seeing one of my best friends get to kiss her husband is going to be amazing. I know several of the people who get their soldier back tonight. It's gonna be pretty intense. I feel like my husband is coming home (even though we still have a while). I didn't sleep for anything last night. It's just too exciting! 

With that, I'm off. I've got several hours to pass before the excitement begins so I'm going to clean and run and clean some more! Sweet Baby A is teething like a monster, so today should be interesting!

Welcome home soldiers!

God Bless ♥ V