Thursday, May 09, 2013

Love Languages



I love the Five Love Languages. When Jimmy and I were in premarital counseling, our pastor had us take the quiz to see what our primary and secondary love languages were. This was in Spring 2011. Our results:
Me:
Primary, Physical Touch
Secondary, Words of Affirmation

Jimmy:
Primary, Quality Time
Secondary, Physical Touch

We're a pretty good combination. Since we both have physical touch in our top two, we communicate well in that way. And no, to you pervs, that doesn't just mean sex. It makes my day a million times better when Jimmy just holds my hand while we walk through the store. I feel so loved when he does things like that. This is also great for him, because we can cuddle while watching a movie and please both of his languages. My dream day/moment is cuddling and talking about our love and our life. I love talking about what we love. 

Now days, deployment has put a bit of a damper on my need for physical touch. I still want it, but there's about 7,000 miles telling me that I can't have it. Therefore, that's been put on the back burner now. I've become a words person. That's all I get right now. I took the quiz again tonight and deployment really has changed my priorities. My ]order did flip. I'm now primarily words of affirmation and secondarily physical touch. I'm going to harass my husband to take it again to see where he falls. 

I love knowing how we communicate our love with each other. Although I don't think that this quiz is entirely necessary to see it because people really do wear their hearts on their sleeves. You can tell how a person communicates their love just by watching them. It's just nice to see it on paper or on your screen. Actually knowing, realizing, and accepting your spouse's love language can do wonders for your relationship! Sometimes I get frustrated with him because he doesn't always give me the words that I want. But when I take a step back and look at the situation, I realize that he's been on Skype with me for an hour and a half. That's the best quality time that we get during deployment. I realize that he is waking up at 4:30 instead of 5:00 so he can talk to me before he starts his work day. That is when I realize how much he loves me. I don't know many men who would give up that last 30 minutes of sleep to call their wife for 10 minutes. 

So, if you haven't taken the Five Love Languages quiz, I highly recommend it. Even if you're not in a relationship, check it out. Your love language doesn't apply to your spouse, but also to your children, friends, and family. Here is the link for the quiz: The Five Love Languages

God Bless ♥ V