Thursday, May 30, 2013

Protecting My Baby

Tonight, I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that I'm not going to be able to protect Adalin from everything. In the last few days, she's taken a couple spills that have scared the crap out of me. Talking to other moms, Adalin's tally for falls is remarkably low for her age. I guess that makes me feel good. One mom tells me about a fall her daughter (who is younger than Adalin) almost every time I talk to her. I'm not talking fall like "she tipped over from sitting on the floor..." I'm talking "She crawled off the bed again. At least this time she didn't land on her head!" It takes a lot for me to not let my jaw fall to the floor. Adalin has fallen off the couch a total of three times now. The first time was in April. The second was in April as well. The third was today, but I caught her before she completely hit the floor. She's never fallen off my bed, rolled off the changing table, or climbed out of her high chair. This week has been things like face planting on the sidewalk, and headbutting the mantle. She's got some pretty wicked bruises, but she's a trooper.

Every time she takes a spill and starts to cry, I cry. I feel bad for not saving her. I know that I can't protect her 24/7, but I will always feel bad when my baby hurts. It makes me really sad to think about all of the hurt that she will know in life, both physical and emotional... It just stinks. I want to keep her safe forever.

That being said, I will teach my daughter to protect her heart. When I was in high school, I read a book called Guard Your Heart. If you don't own it, buy it. It's less than $3. It's designed more for teenagers, but it has some good points.

Anyway, I'm going to go check on my sweet baby again. I wish I could stop worrying over the little things, because I really do know that she's fine. I just always think about that "what if" scenario. I'll tell you one thing though, my little girl is one tough kid.

God Bless ♥ V