Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Differences with a One Year Old

I've had a lot of moms ask me if I like this phase of Miss A's life better than the newborn phase. I really can't answer that question with a simple "yes" or "no." There are parts of newborn/baby life that I absolutely loved and miss dearly, but there are so many things about her toddler-hood that I love as well.

Among the things that I miss of the newborn/stationary baby phase are the squishiness, chubby legs, soft coos, and all the firsts. I miss being able to lay her on my chest and take a nap on the couch. I miss getting so excited when she rolled over, or made a new sound, or figured out a new toy... I miss rocking her to sleep. I miss putting her down in one spot and actually find her there again in twenty seconds. I miss having her sleep for a lot of the day so I can get everything I need to get done, out of the way before Jimmy gets home from work.

I absolutely love the age that Miss A is at now. I love that she's mobile. Even though it does present a new set of challenges, it makes things easier. When we're in the store, I don't lug around her car seat. I just stick her in the cart, or let her walk. When I run into the post office for something simple, I'm not having to tote the entire car seat, diaper bag, and six different toys with us. She can handle sitting on the counter while I fill out the envelope and she can stand still when we're getting served. I can't even express how much easier it is to feed her now. Even though she still gets ornery and will make a crazy mess of her food sometimes, being able to give her solids and watch her feed herself is amazing. I haven't bought baby food in over a month. It's weird, but I love it. I love watching her personality grow. She is her own person, with her own "Adi-tude." I love that she can go from 8:00 in the morning until after noon without napping if I need her to.

The things I don't miss? The middle of the night wake-ups, the screaming for no reason, the constant worry that something could go wrong with her lung (obviously that's not the case with all babies though). I don't miss her not being able to notion to the fridge when she's hungry, her spitting up on me, or the crazy (frequent) poop explosions when we tried a new food.

Would I change the process that got us to where we are now? Absolutely not. I loved every experience with her. Even her surgery... Of course, I wish she wouldn't have had to go through that, especially at such a young age. It helped me grow though, it brought us closer. I gained new perspective on healthcare and an amazing appreciation for modern technology that discovered her CCAM in the beginning. Years ago, babies would have died from her condition. It would have gone undetected, got infected or turned cancerous, and could be fatal. Thanks to the advances in ultrasounds and other scans, doctors were able to monitor her and put my mind at ease. The late night wake-ups and doctors visits were quality time that I got to spend with my sweet girl. I love reflecting on how we got to where we are today.

So what are the new challenges that we face now? Mobility, as I said before, presents new challenges. She's getting taller so she can reach things that used to be "safe zones" for things that weren't so baby-friendly. We always have to make sure pot handles are turned in on the stove, knives are at the back of the counter, and anything heavy is out of reach. I can't take my eyes off of her for a second when we're out, or she'll be climbing or running away. The girl is fearless. Another challenge is timing naps. We're making the transition from two naps to one a day... As I type this, she's sitting in her crib yelling at me because she doesn't want to sleep. Less than a month ago, she would be going down for her second nap of the day in about an hour... but now she doesn't want to nap yet. It's been a huge adjustment. Everything is interesting to her, even the bad things. I don't know how many times I've found her putting disgusting things in her mouth. Even though this isn't an entirely new challenge, it has grown. She's so curious (which I absolutely adore), so everything has to be tested. "Does it taste good? Does it make noise? If I hit mommy in the head with it, what does it do?" Though I love watching her discover new things and experiment with how things work... I wish she wouldn't "discover" dog poop.

At the end of the day, I fall in love with my daughter more and more each time I look at her. She is always impressing me with something new. I know that the "firsts" are far from over. She's got so much life ahead of her, such a bright future. She is incredibly smart and advanced for her age. I can't believe how fast she's growing up.

So to answer the question that prompted this blog... do I love this phase more than the newborn phase? No. I love it equally. New skills, new challenges, and new experiences all make every day something to look forward to.

September 2012

August 2013

God Bless ♥ V