Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Life is a Funny Thing

Today I have been reflecting on life. Three years ago, if you would have asked me where I'd be on September 24, 2013, I would have probably told you that I'd be at either Ball State University, Olivet Nazarene University, or Michigan State. I would have told you that I would be studying journalism to be a writer/photographer for Time magazine, and would one day live in New York City. I would have told you that I'd either be single or dating, and would probably be playing rec. soccer somewhere. I'd probably have a part time job at some retail shop in the mall, and would be in debt up to my eyeballs.

Now, if you would have sat me down and told me that I 1) would be married to my husband, 2) would have a one-year-old daughter, 3) would be running my own photography business, and 4) would live 1,000 miles away from my family.... the only one I would even consider to be truth would be number three. I've always had a passion for photography, so I would call you crazy for that. The rest, however, I would have considered grounds for admission to a psych ward. I can honestly say that I would have never guessed that this is where I would be today.

What really gets me, is that I wouldn't change my life for the world. Where I'm at right now, is where I want to be. Okay, not at this moment... I'm seriously missing my husband. I knew that making an eleven day trip to Michigan without him would be slightly torturous, but I wasn't expecting to miss him this much. Aside from that.... I am in love with my life. Every day, I fall more in love with my husband. Even when he pisses me off, I want nothing else but to fall asleep in his arms, to kiss him goodnight, and to hear him say those sweet words, "I love you, baby." Every day, our beautiful daughter impresses me. Watching her grow up and explore new things is an experience like no other. Parenthood changes things. There really isn't a way to explain it. Life just makes more sense. I'm so in love with where I'm at, it's almost ridiculous. My photography business is at an all time high. I have realistic goals that I'm so determined to meet (that's an upcoming blog post, just so you know). I'm starting school up again in January and I'm determined to knock it out. I'm ready to be done, to have my degree, and to get even more serious about my business. I feel like everything in life has fallen into place. I'm where I'm supposed to be.

This week, I've done three different senior sessions with students who attend the high school I graduated from. Seeing things from their perspective really makes me think about where I was at in that part of my life. Not knowing exactly where they want to go to college, what they'll major in, or where they'll be even one year from now... it's all so normal for a high school senior. At the start of my senior year, my husband (then boyfriend) was in basic training in Kentucky. I waited by the mailbox daily for letters, and spent every Sunday locked away in my room impatiently waiting for a phone call. I didn't go out every Friday night with my friends, I didn't party like a crazy woman and drink until I couldn't think straight. I sat at home, planning my first trip to Georgia, planning our wedding, and figuring out where we would live and where I would go to school. I frequently forget that it's not exactly "normal" to be married at seventeen, a mom just two days shy of turning nineteen, and to live so far away from your family. This has become my "normal." People often ask me "what it's like" to live my life. I don't feel any different; I don't feel out of place. This is the life that I know and love. This is the life that I adore.

My recent positivity kick has completely flipped my world around. Rather than looking at the bad things in life, I'm constantly looking at the good. I'm appreciating things in a new light, and realizing what matters in the big scheme of things, and what's not worth spending time worrying about. I'm still not entirely sure where all of this clarity came from, but I love it. Life is feeling really good right now. I'm planning on holding on to these feelings for a long time.

God Bless ♥V