Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Shutdown Frustrations

I told myself I wasn't going to blog about the government shutdown because I haven't thoroughly educated myself on the politics of it all... but I decided that since this is "My Life as an Army Wife," I figure what the heck. I'll throw my frustrations out there.

First, threatening military pay is not the way to go. Not only is it disrespectful to our armed forces, but it also looks terrible in the public eye. It doesn't look good to Americans, or the rest of the world. When our gates on post were closed, the normal 20 minute drive to work took my husband over an hour because of the immense amounts of traffic. I understand that running the military is expensive, but so is congress's salary.

Second, the fact that death benefits were not being given to families of soldiers who were killed in action during the shutdown makes me absolutely sick. I can not imagine getting that call, "Sorry your husband died... but you're gonna have to find your own way to the air field to meet his remains... and to cover all the other expenses that comes along with this." No, that's just not okay.

Third, it is driving me nuts that we cant' do anything about this. The approval rating for congress is a measly 5%. We can't fight back. We can't freely voice our opinions in several places now... So much for freedom of speech. I'm rather frustrated with that.

The last one I'm going to write about, even though there are several more... Why is congress still getting paid? They aren't doing there job. Shutting down innocent people who are working their behinds off to support their families, but keeping their own paychecks? That's not how government is supposed to go. Government is supposed to protect the little guy, not squish him. I guess I'm just irritated.

On a high note, all the gates are opened on post again. The commissary opened back up yesterday. Oh, and somehow I managed to get Miss A a same-day appointment when the nurse called me back (less than an hour after I called?!?) at 10:30. What? That's absurd, right? I promise, I'm not lying. I was in shock too.

God Bless ♥ V