Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What I'm Thankful For (Part Two)

This is part two of my 2013 What I'm Thankful For series. See part one here.

Wow, it's been a busy day, but I think I can finish this up before midnight hits. Here we go!

11. I'm thankful for modern medicine. Twice now, modern medicine has helped out my lovey bug. When I was 20 weeks pregnant, they found a CCAM on her right lung. Through the wonders of present day ultrasounds, they were able to closely monitor her. They determined that it would be best to deliver her at a hospital with a NICU, as a safety precaution. Luckily we didn't need it, though she did have surgery six months later. The second modern medicine benefit my little girl is experiencing is ear tubes. She's been suffering for months with ear infection after ear infection. Today, we made the decision that tubes are the best option for her at this stage in the game. So, a day shy of the one year anniversary of her lung surgery, she will be getting ear tubes. I'm terrified for her to have two surgeries under the age of two, but the doctor eased many of my fears today by reminding me that ear tubes are far less extensive than removing a third of her lung.


12. I'm thankful for faith. These last few days have been rough for quite a few people I know. I sat 1,000 miles away, as a great friend of mine said goodbye to his mother who had been fighting cancer. Today I found out that yet another woman from our church is dealing with a serious medical condition, and is also in the end of the second trimester of her pregnancy. It can be hard to keep faith when bad things happen, but through prayer I've felt a stronger connection with God in the past couple days than ever.

13. I'm thankful for college. Even though I'm absolutely terrified to return to school in January, I'm excited to get my degree. I like learning new things, challenging my brain, and push myself to try something new. I've met some great friends at college. It has been a great experience.

14. I'm thankful for the commissary. I've saved tons by shopping there. I don't realize how much extra I spend on groceries by going to Kroger or Food Lion until I have an entire cart full of food for less than $120 at the commissary. That would easily run me over $150, or even $200 at another grocery store. I'm all about saving money.

15. I'm thankful for Pinterest. I get so many ideas from there. Between home decor, food, DIY projects, and photography ideas, I credit a lot of my creativity to Pinterest.


16. I'm thankful for Diapers.com. I won't lie, I just spent the last 10 minutes browsing their website for Black Friday deals. I'm stocking up on healthy snacks for our trip home, as well as some other toddler essentials.

17. I'm thankful for Direct TV. Even though it's a huge distraction, I sure do enjoy it. Big Bang Theory every night? Yes please!

18. I'm thankful for Subway. It's pretty much the only fast food I eat. I guess I do eat Hardee's too, but Subway definitely takes the cake.

19. I'm thankful for my tattoos. I like to think of them as self expression, in the most permanent form. I don't have any more planned for the immediate future, but who knows. Maybe I'll surprise myself.


20. I'm thankful for cookie dough. Nothing more needs to be added to that one.

I made it with a whole hour to spare. Happy Thanksgiving Eve! I'll do my best to post part three tomorrow.

God Bless ♥ V