Monday, December 16, 2013

Saying Yes

We get in the habit of always saying, "no," "not now," and "maybe later" to a lot of things in life. Lately, I've been trying desperately to remove the n-word from my vocabulary. Obviously certain things still require a no, but when there's the chance to say yes, I'm doing my best to take it.

I'm trying to make the most of my last few weeks before starting school again. Instead of not letting Adalin do whatever she wants, I've been trying to encourage her to explore, learn, and grow. Today, for example, she climbed up into my desk chair and started beating on the computer. Rather than yell at her and make her get down, I wheeled her into the living room and spun her around until she got a big belly laugh going. Later, she climbed on top of the dining room table. Though that's normally a huge no-no, I let her get the pretzels she wanted and helped her down safely. I let her stay up until she told me she wanted to go to bed even though it was 15 minutes later than we usually like. If it means she's happy and gets to spend extra time with us, why not?

Saying "yes" can bring lots of different opportunities to you. Today, while shooting a homecoming, I saw a family taking photos with their smartphones and offered to take a few shots and send them to the family at no charge. Now they're contacting me about booking family photos in the spring. I love gaining new clients, especially from homecomings. I just love homecomings.

I'm off for the night. It's been a long day and I still have lots to do! I challenge all of you to try to say "yes" tomorrow. Give it a little thought, you never know what kind of opportunity might pop up.

God Bless ♥ V