Wednesday, December 04, 2013

What Sucks About the Army

Today, I'm experiencing something new, but something that is very much a part of military life. One of my absolute closest friends is moving to Texas today. It's crazy for me to think that she won't be 12 houses down anymore. She won't be able to come over and teach me how to cook more new foods that won't kill my husband (thanks for chicken parm and salmon!). She won't be booking any more photo shoots for a good long time. And selfishly, she won't be able to watch Miss A for me anymore. Even though we haven't hung out nearly as much since deployment ended, she's still been one of my best friends for so long. Even though we've only known each other for a year and a half, I truly hope that we will remain this close once she leaves.

It's a funny thing, really, how friendships are different in the military world. Being 1,000 miles away from everything that you've known (or almost 3,000 in her case) makes you bond with people differently. Deployment makes you bond differently. Nobody who hasn't gone through a loved one's deployment can understand what it's like to be waiting and worried. People always say, "I can only imagine," and it's true... they can only imagine. I can't believe how quickly this lovely lady and I grew close.

I know that we'll see each other again. We'll make it happen. Whether it's for photos' sake, or just a friendly visit, I know that we'll be together again someday. I am excited for her family's new journey. Moving to a new state is always exciting and scary. I can't wait to see the life that they make for themselves there. I know that we'll talk, Skype, and Facebook, but it's just not the same as living 12 houses apart. I'm gonna miss you, woman.

I know I'll be feeling sulky tonight, so Hubby... be ready for chick flicks and cookie dough.

God Bless ♥ V