Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Transitioning to a Toddler Bed

Just over a week ago, Miss A made the transition from her crib to a toddler bed. She's almost 18 months old now. We were somewhat torn on when to start this transition, but our decision making process was sped up a bit by this:


Our little climber was consistently hanging out on the top rail of her crib. Rather than risk her falling 3+ feet off of the top, we decided it would be better to risk let her roam free in her room and convert her crib to a toddler bed. 


We switched her between her nap and bedtime, so going to sleep for the night (when she's more tired) was the first time in her big girl bed. We didn't change anything else in her bedtime routine. The only thing that changed about her bed was the front rail being removed. It stayed in the same place. Her bedding remained the same. Her bath was the same time. Her bed time remained the same. I still turned on her sound machine and night light, kissed her goodnight, and closed her door. 

Once I left her room, I asked Hubs how long he gave her before she came back to the living room. His guess: 3 minutes. My guess: 1 minute. Actual time: about 40 seconds. I put her back in her bed again, but shortly after... "Mama? Dada?" Down the hallway she came again... after about 7 more trips out into the living room, I gated off the hallway so she couldn't see us, but still had the freedom to open her door if she was scared. After about 10 more minutes, she fell asleep no problem. Woo! Not. 

Around one in the morning, she woke up freaking out. After a little over an hour, she went back to sleep. She then slept until around seven, which is pretty normal. 

The next day, we attempted nap time for the first time. It went surprisingly well, with the exception of it only being about 45 minutes instead of 2+ hours. I figured she'd be exhausted enough to just fall asleep at night with no problems. Correct! Until about 10:00pm... She was up again, and freaking out again... This time it only took me about 45 minutes to get her back to sleep, but then she woke up again around one. At one, she would not stay in her bed for anything. After close to two hours I finally got her relaxed enough to try again. She slept til almost eight. Again, pretty normal.

Night three went pretty well. She napped for about an hour and a half that day, so she wasn't overly tired. She kept wandering into the living room again so I decided to shut her door completely (locking her in her room). I was initially really against this, but after talking with my mom (she did with my brother and me), I felt a little better about it. Best. Decision. Ever. 

Since we started completely closing her door, she's been sleeping in her big girl bed like a champ. The last two nights, she's been sleeping over 12 hours. She still fights going to sleep a little bit, but she's not waking up in the middle night. She's napping pretty regularly as well. 

I feel much better knowing that she's not going to jump out of the crib now. She knocks on her door when she wakes up and we let her out of her room. Now, once she starts opening her door on her own... we'll be facing a new challenge. But for now, life is good. My big girl is growing up so quickly. I can't believe my own eyes. 

God Bless ♥ V