Thursday, February 20, 2014

Traveling With an 18 Month Old

Yesterday Miss A and I took our second flight to Michigan. I was an anxious wreck, since I decided not to bring my stroller like I did last time. I had an extra bag with me too, so I was freaking out. Thanks to an awesome friend of mine, we made it to the airport with plenty of time to get through security and find our plane. Miss A even found a little friend to play with for a few minutes before we started boarding.



As soon as we got on the plane, she knocked out. She'd been up since around 6am, so I knew she'd be pretty tired by the time our flight took off at 9:30. She slept from take-off to landing. Never made a peep! 


Once we got to Charlotte, the pilot came over the speaker saying that they didn't have a gate for us. So, we stopped in the middle of the tarmac and exited the plane. We had to walk quite a ways to the terminal (two backpacks, carry-on, and toddler in tow). Of course, it was the complete opposite side of the terminal that I needed to catch my next flight on. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but since we had to walk so far to get inside, I had seven minutes before my next flight started boarding. 

Somehow I managed to get to the gate with a minute to spare, in tears, but I made it. I had to pee so badly it wasn't funny. Miss A needed a diaper change (badly). My entire body was shaking from pushing so hard to make it on time. To my extreme luck, one of the flight attendants was running late so I was able to leave all my bags at the desk and go to the bathroom. Even better, once we did board the plane, no one was in the seat next to us, so Miss A had plenty of room to stretch. 



We were delayed for take-off since the flight attendant was so late, so we missed our scheduled time. We ended up taking off about thirty minutes late. As soon as we were in the air, Miss A knocked out again. 


The views were gorgeous. Flying into all the snow got me so excited. I couldn't wait to get on the ground and go play in it. We landed in Detroit about 30 minutes late, but we did alright. Miss A remembered her Nana almost immediately and was very excited to get to her house. It's exciting for me to see that she's remembering people and places that she's not at frequently. She's such a smart girl.


This morning we played in the mountains of snow Michigan has right now. Miss A wasn't quite as excited as she was last time, but I think she's pretty jet lagged still. There's also about two feet more snow now than there was when we were here for Christmas. It's absolutely beautiful here. We're definitely going to enjoy our visit. 

God Bless ♥ V