Thursday, February 27, 2014

We're Moving

Anyone who knows me knows that I've had little to no hope of ever leaving Fort Stewart. Many have called it one of the "black holes" in the Army. Tons of people go there, and never get out. I was entirely convinced that we were going to be one of those people.

About a year ago, Hubs reenlisted for stability (at Fort Stewart). In my mind, that essentially meant that we would be there for all of eternity. Well, at least until his next contract was signed, or until he got out... Then I find out that there are ways to get orders, but it could be difficult.

Well... early this week, a few of the soldiers in Hub's unit received orders to Fort Benning. The two soldiers I knew that had received orders had also reenlisted around the same time as Hubs did, and also for stability. I instantly got kind of bubbly. I asked him to check his ERB to see if anything came up for him. He said it was doubtful, but he'd check in the morning (since it was already later in the evening and he was settled in at home).

Sure enough, the next day he goes to the library to check on everything and... bam. Fort Benning, here we come. I was completely shocked, even though I kind of thought it could happen. I have fourteen million kinds of emotions going on right now.

I'm excited to be seeing more of the country. Even though I've been out to Fort Benning once before, I was only there for three days. We'll be within a day-trip's distance from Atlanta, Montgomery (AL), Albany (GA), and a few other places that I'm interested in visiting.

I'm excited to see where my business goes from there. Starting over with a completely new clientele is going to be tough, but a fresh start is rarely a bad thing. I've had a great experience growing my business at Stewart, so I can only hope that I'll have the same success on the other side of the state.

We will also be two hours closer to Michigan than we are now. I always thought that Stewart was as close as we got, but I was wrong. This will mean driving through Atlanta every time we go home now, but I'm not too upset about that. Two hours, is two hours.

I'm sad to be leaving my friends and "roots" at Stewart. Even though quite a few of my closest friends will be leaving this summer (or have already left), I still have so many great people who have come into my life throughout our time at Fort Stewart. It sucks to be leaving all of them, but I know that good things will happen at Benning as well. We are also blessed that we'll only be five hours from Stewart, so we could make long-weekend trips out there if we want to.

Leaving Savannah and the beaches is going to be tough. I love that city. Downtown is so beautiful, and we will most definitely be checking of a ton of things on my Savannah/Coastal GA bucket list this summer. I want to visit all of the coastal islands that I can, spend lots of time at the beach, go on a carriage ride downtown, go on a haunted tour of Savannah, and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'm sad to be leaving some great businesses behind us. We absolutely love Miss A's ENT. Dr. Crews has been so great with her, and her tubes probably won't quite be out when we leave. We've had a really crappy experience with Winn Army Community Hospital, so I'm not sad about leaving them, but I'm a little anxious to see what the healthcare is like at Fort Benning. I'm sad to be leaving Savannah Memorial Hospital behind. Knowing that my babies won't be born at the same hospital is very bittersweet for me. I loved the care I received there, and was looking forward to having baby #2 there some day. Now, that won't be happening. I'm also sad to be leaving our tattoo artist. Jimmy will be going to see her a lot in the next few months. I have full intentions of coming back once in a while to make trips to Savannah though. I also just recently found a cloth diaper store in Savannah that I've been  pretty fond of. I'm hoping I can find another one in Columbus, or even Atlanta (I know there are some there).

I'm absolutely elated to have a Target within thirty minutes of my house. A friend of mine and I had talked about this quite a bit a while ago... I've been miserable having to drive so far to get to Target. Knowing that Columbus has a Target, Kohl's, Carter's, and a natural baby store (I just Googled while writing this, there is one!) all in town... my checkbook is in trouble.

I'm excited to experience moving as a family. Even though I know it's going to be stressful, I'm excited about it. I feel so fortunate that our first PCS is only five hours from where we're at now. I think it will be a great "starter" move, so to speak. I have hopes that we won't be at Fort Benning forever, so maybe we'll keep making our way West in a few years. We'll see!

*Update* School... Since I go primarily online, I won't have to transfer out, take time off (again), or drop out because of our move. When we leave, I'll only have one semester left anyway. Since we'll "only" be five hours away, walking at commencement is still an option, but that would mean that Hubs would probably have to take time off. I know that the degree is the "important part," but I was still looking forward to the ceremony. Who knows where we'll be in life in a little over a year.

Overall, I'm feeling optimistic. I'm definitely going to miss parts of Fort Stewart (who would have though I'd ever say that?!), but I'm excited to see what the future holds for us. I can't wait to see.

God Bless ♥ V