Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Potty Training Success (She's done!)

I'm excited to say that Miss A has "officially" been potty trained for over a week now. In my last post, I'd mentioned that I didn't want to consider it official until she could successfully use public toilets without a problem. Just three days after I posted that, we attempted a trip to Savannah for the first time since she stopped regularly having accidents. Total success. I was completely shocked!

We went to the mall first, and I brought her little potty with us. Pretty much whenever we're going to be in the car for more than an hour, I bring it with us. If she needs to go when she gets out of the car, it's easier to open up the trunk than to run across the parking lot and try to find a bathroom before it's too late. She actually didn't need to go when we got to the mall, so we went in. After I ran a quick errand in the mall, she saw the carousel and desperately wanted to ride the horses. (Ding ding! Bribery!) So I told her if she went potty, she could ride one. Winner! We went into the public restroom, I plopped her up on the potty, and she went like it was no big deal. We let her ride the carousel (after running another errand too) and continued to praise her for her awesomeness.

After that, we went to dinner and I was a nervous wreck. My child, my sweet sweet child, can drink like it's nobody's business. She kept chugging juice and water, so as soon as we finished eating, I took her into the restaurant's bathroom. Success again. I offered her potty once more before we went home, though she didn't need it. When we got home, she came in the house and went again, with no accidents.

Up until that point, she hadn't been wearing anything on her bottom very often. We'd put her in dresses and leave her bum naked so the potty was easily accessible without restriction. After that day, we've started keeping undies on her as much as possible (she still hates clothes). She can wear shorts or pants, and not have accidents.

We've had no accidents in well over a week now. I don't stress too much about giving her tons of fluids, except after around 7:00 at night. We try to cut her off then, so she will sleep well. We always put her on the potty before bath, and again before bed just to double check.

She's extremely independent with it now. We got her a Bumbo Step Stool for the bathroom so she can get on the big potty by herself, and even wash her hands by herself. Though it's made my days quite a bit more interesting, I'm glad that she goes on her own. I'm so proud of how much she's learned in these past few weeks.

So, out potty training journey took almost exactly two weeks. We started August 18th and she used her first public potty on the 30th, a month after her second birthday. She continues to amaze me with her awareness and independence. I'm such a proud mama.