Monday, August 17, 2015

Baby J: Four Weeks Old

How on earth is he already four weeks old? Time is soaring by so quickly, I can't stand it!

Baby J: Our little man is chunking up! We didn't have a weight check today, but I'm guessing he's close to 10 pounds now. He's growing like a week. He's sleeping pretty well, up usually two or three times per night, around 1-2, and around 4-5, but sometimes once more if he goes to bed earlier than 10:00. He's still sleeping in the bassinet in our room, which is way different than how we did things with Miss A. She slept in our room for two weeks, that was it. A big part of that decision is that our house is set up differently now, and I'm admittedly too lazy to make the trek to the nursery in the middle of the night. He's got some crazy post-bath time hair that cracks us up too ;)


Milestones
: Last night, little man slept for 5 hours straight, which was a first. He's also starting to make more eye contact, especially in the evenings when he's most alert. He's becoming more and more verbal too, lots of goos and ahhs :)

Miss A: Oh, my sweet Miss A. Where have you gone? This past week has been extremely trying with Miss A. We've dealt with more behavioral problems in the past week, than we have in the past year. She's become destructive, and testing every limit we set for her. Last night around 11:15, she came out of her room crying and asking for cuddles. We know she's finally realizing that babies require a lot of attention, and she doesn't have 100% of my time anymore, so the adjustment is taking its tole. Jimmy cuddled in her bed for a bit, but when he got up to go back to our room, she had a meltdown. She ended up in our room, which never happens, since she doesn't sleep when we're around, but we thought we'd try. To my surprise, shortly after midnight she racked out. Again, to my surprise, after I fell asleep, she got up and went on a demolition spree in our room. She put lotion and soap on lots of things, including some of our favorite cloth diapers, she found some medicine bottles (thankfully they are childproof) and stuck them in the bassinet, she hid my phone and water, and rearranged several other parts of our room... I woke up hearing her try to get my chapstick from next to me. This was less than an hour after she fell asleep. She immediately said "I'm sorry, I'm being bad." I really hope that this is just a phase that will pass soon. I really want our sweet girl back. She still adores her brother, and always wants to cuddle him, which just warms my heart.



Nursing: We are really starting to get the hang of things! I'm only having to pump once a day or once every other day to keep engorgement at bay. Little man is latching like a champ, even when 85% asleep. He's become quite a bit more efficient, and usually only nurses for 15-20 minutes, compared to 30-40 minutes a few weeks ago. He tends to cluster feed at night, from about 8:00-10:00, but then sleeps for 4ish hours, which is great for me getting some rest.

Weight Loss: I'm still hanging around the 27-28 pounds lost mark, with 4-5 to go until pre-baby weight. I'm really, really looking forward to being able to work out again.

Feelings: Today, I'm feeling emotional. Our tiny baby isn't nearly as tiny already, and will be a month old on Thursday. On top of that, Wednesday he goes in for testing on his kidneys since the ultrasound the doctors did the day after he was born showed that they were still dilated more than normal, and that he may have some sort of blockage. They ordered two tests, one that requires an IV, and another that requires a catheter. Neither of which are we looking forward to, and neither of which are fun for a baby. I'm a bit of an anxious wreck, but I know that he'll be okay. I just hate watching our kids get poked and prodded at. We appreciate prayers for skilled, knowledgeable doctors, and good test results that won't result in surgery for our baby boy.

God Bless ♥︎ Victoria