Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Doing Things Differently

A lot of people have asked me what we're doing differently with James compared to what we did with Miss A. The differences are really endless, but there are a few that I think stand out more than others.

Adalin was an amazing sleeper. Starting at just before three months, she was sleeping through the night consistently. James is... not. He will be four months old next week, and usually sleeps from around 8:30 until 3:00ish without waking, then nurses on and off from then until 7:00 or so when we get up. Because he's not sleeping through the night, and because I'm nursing (another difference), he is in our room. Not only is he in our room, but half the time he's in our bed. Some nights he'll go back to sleep in his bassinet once he nurses. Other nights, he wants his mama... Rather than fight him and lose sleep, I just let him snuggle. It was a pretty huge adjustment, but it works well for us.

Nursing is another difference. James had a pretty good latch from the start. We battled an over supply for the first two or three months, but in the last few weeks my supply has regulated down. James has only had a handful of bottles in his almost four months of life, and is certainly not a fan. While it's easier, since his food source is always with me and there aren't any "supplies" to pack in the diaper bag... it's proven difficult when I need to be away from him. Leaving for sessions, quick grocery runs, and other mommy outings is more challenging since he is really not a fan of the bottle.



I'm also delaying the start of foods with James. I started cereal with Adalin at 14 weeks, but plan on waiting until six months with James. I'm also reading up on baby lead weaning, and may skip purees or mix purees and solids depending on what he likes best.

Cloth diapering is another major difference with our experience with little man. I never even considered cloth diapering Miss A until we started at 16 months. With James, he's only been in disposables for his first week of life, and after a medical test that made his urine radioactive for a few hours (no kidding!). Other than that, his booty has been in cloth, and I love it. He's only had one diaper rash, after his vaccines at two months. It's cheaper, and more eco friendly too!

With Adalin, I felt like we needed all kinds of baby things. She had a swing, two bouncers, a floor mat, a bumbo, an exersaucer, a jumper, a walker, and all sorts of little hand toys. With James, I'm trying to cut back. He has his MamaRoo, which saves my butt when he wants to be bounced. He has the mamas&papas floor seat, and his floor mat. I still have the jumper from Miss A, which we'll likely be breaking out in the coming weeks or months... but I'm trying to not go overboard. James likes to be held and paid constant attention to, so I am not planning on paying for toys he won't use frequently. I've also invested in more "natural" toy options for him, like wooden teethers and rattles. I also got him an amber teething necklace to wear to hopefully avoid constant Tylenol dosing once he starts teething more.

Baby wearing is another big difference. I had a cheap baby carrier with Miss A, but it left her legs blue after minutes, and hurt my shoulders and back. I invested in an ergo around 14 months with her and loved it. So far with James, I've tried a Moby wrap (which I didn't care for), a Sakura Bloom ring sling (which I loved!), a Tula (which we love!) and the same Ergo I had with Adalin. I'm looking forward to see how our babywearing journey grows and changes through his infancy and toddlerhood.


There are lots of other differences I could discuss, but these are the biggest. I enjoyed how we did things with Miss A, but am also enjoying experimenting and trying out different parenting styles with James to see what fits our family best. Knowledge is definitely power.